Bookish Treasures is currently closed for review requests and is not doing any new posts at this time.

Fall for new New Adult

24 Oct 2013
Those of you that are regular readers of my will know that I am a huge fan of New Adult books and a particularly enjoy supporting those that are not contemporary romance novels. I am very excited to be participating in the Fall for the new New Adult campaign. I am the second to last person to share their post for the campaign (the wonderful Cora Carmack is tomorrow!) so most of the posts are already up for you to read. (Full schedule can be found here.) 
 
As an incentive to give different genres of NA a try, four great authors have teamed together to release the Fall for New Adult bundle set which will be available for a limited time. Set includes 4 great non-contemporary NA novels for only $3.99! One of these books, The Apollo Academy, features amongst my favourite reads this year.


So, why am I so eager to see New Adult expand more into other genres? Firstly, (and quite selfishly) simply because I prefer paranormal and fantasy novels much more than contemporary. Until NA came along I hardly ever picked up a contemporary romance novel, I mainly read NA contemporary romance now but only because I love the NA category so much it vastly increases my enjoyment of contemporary. 
 
Secondly, I want New Adult to spread even wider than it already has. That will not happen until there are more books of differing genres to appeal to different people. Currently there are several paranormal, fantasy, sci-fi and other genres available but you really have to hunt to find them.  
 
Thirdly, and most importantly, I don't want the NA category to fade away! Specific types of books only remain the hot, popular thing for so long, think Twilight and the massive popularity of YA vampire novels. As YA is host to a huge variety of genres, as one genre becomes less popular another simply takes its place as the hot new thing, this means some form of YA is always popular. If people begin to accept and read genres of NA other than contemporary romance then NA will have this ability too. This will only happen if more people accept non-contemporary NA. If you love NA, help it grow! 
 
I have done a few posts in the past about NA novels that have also mention non-contemporary NA. Check them out! New Adult Books: What They Are, Why I Love Them and Why You Should Read Them and New Adult Books That Break From The Mold 
 
As well as the Fall For New Adult bundle I thought you might be interested in a few more NA suggestions. All these are books I have read and enjoyed (some are even free but you will have to click on the image to go to Amazon to find out which :P).  
 

We want to know why YOU want to see NA expand too! Join the campaign by grabbing the gif. above and blogging/tweeting about why YOU want to see NA expand! #NACampaign



 
Purchase the Fall for New Adult bundle set here

3 comments:

  1. This is a great post & I couldn't agree more. New Adult IS NOT a genre, its a category, just like MG or YA and from that category stems every genre, from romance to horror to SiFi to historical to mixed genre's.
    I also cannot believe the HUGE BARGAIN the four-set New Adult book's are. Anyone with a Kindle should really INVEST the $3.99

    Long live NA diversity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the link to the bundle! I am just discovering NA as a category now, mainly via the fantasy genre because I wanted something a bit more than the usual YA I've been reading. I am curious to check these four books out! I will also have to visit your other posts :)

    - Wattle @ Whimsical Nature

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent post! Totally agree. New Adult is a category and every category has different genres within it. I've only seen contemporary NA and like you I prefer paranormal/fantasy to contempory genres.

    ReplyDelete

If you leave a comment I promise to cherish it forever :) I will also try to always reply.