Bookish Treasures is currently closed for review requests and is not doing any new posts at this time.

Review of Taking Chances

8 Apr 2013

Synopsis

Eighteen year old Harper has grown up under her career Marine of a father's thumb. Ready to live life her own way and experience things she's only ever heard of from the jarheads in her father's unit; she's on her way to college at San Diego State University.

Thanks to her new roommate, Harper is introduced to a world of parties, gorgeous guys, family and emotions. Some she wasn't expecting yet, and others she never knew she was missing.

She finds herself being torn in two as she quickly falls in love with her boyfriend Brandon, and her roommate's brother Chase. Covered in tattoos, known for fighting in the Underground and ridiculously muscled...they're exactly what she was always warned to stay away from, but just what she needs. Despite their dangerous looks and histories, both adore and would do anything for Harper, including stepping back if it means she's happy.

Her first year away is turning out to be near perfect, but one weekend of giving in to heated passion will change everything.


Review

I once told myself I would never write a review of Taking Chances. Simply because sometimes a book comes along that is so incredible no words can do it justice. This is one of those books.
I read a lot of books, most of which are good but nothing particularly special. Eventually most books blur together so only the truly amazing ones stand out. Almost five months after reading Taking Chances I can still remember all the little details and every single emotion the book made me feel. Five months and I still can’t get this book out of my head.
Taking Chances is a book that I want to erase the memory of ever reading just so I can experience reading it for the first time all over again. I know some people who didn't like this book - i think the sheer amount of emotion just isn't for everyone - but i LOVED it.

If you like romance, drama and lots of emotion in books then this is perfect for you. A great New Adult book that focuses more on the romance and character development than just sex. Though if you like steamy sexy scenes don't worry as there is the occasional one. The book starts good then keeps getting better, even when you think it couldn't get any better it proves you wrong.
This book has a sexy tattooed bad boy. In fact it has two! Chase and Brandon are two of my favourite male characters in a New Adult book; they are both the perfect mix of bad boy and romantic, both willing to give up the girl they love if it will make her happy.
Harper doesn’t always make the best decisions and sometimes I just wanted to shake her but she comes across as realistic. We’re not all perfect, we sometimes do stupid things and occasionally we may mess up big time. Despite her slightly odd back story she comes across as a real person; the girl we could all be though i highly hope my life will never be quite that dramatic.

If you have ever heard about this book before you probably know that it has a huge unexpected twist. I was so stunned I found myself blankly staring at my kindle for so long that it turned itself off. I found myself wanting to yell at the author “HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME?!?!” whilst simultaneously giving her a massive hug and a round of applause.
The characters will work their way into your heart and you will find yourself experiencing their every emotion and really feeling for them. This book was such a roller coaster of emotions that after I finished reading I felt drained. I have hardly ever cried so much whilst reading a book, some were tears of sadness, devastation and despair whilst others were tears of joy and me marvelling over how beautiful a chapter was.
There was the odd little thing that wasn’t perfect but this book was too incredible for me to be bothered by them. For a book to get me that emotionally involved and to care that much about the characters I couldn’t possibly give it anything less than 5 stars. It took over a week before i could read again and no book i have read since has been quite as good. I wish i had an extra star to give.
I want to do something i have never done before which is thank the author for writing this book, Molly please never ever stop writing :) And now I am off to reread this book, because I simply have to.

 

2 comments:

  1. Taking Chances sounds like a great read! I really want to start reading more New Adult, and this one will definitely be at the top of my reading list when I start doing so. You can't go far wrong with tattooed bad boys in my book, haha! Brilliant review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's double the amount of tatooed bad bays than you usually get in books :) Glad you like my review.

      Delete

If you leave a comment I promise to cherish it forever :) I will also try to always reply.