Bookish Treasures is currently closed for review requests and is not doing any new posts at this time.

Top Ten Books Whose Titles Or Covers Made Me Buy It

25 Feb 2014

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

I'm not normally one to judge a book by its cover (even though I love to stare at immensely beautiful covers) but there has been several occasions where a cover has been so stunning or attention grabbing that it made me unable to forget about the book and I eventually ended up buying it. In none of these cases was the cover the sole reason for me buying the book but it was what made me notice the book and without it I probably would never have bought them. In almost all cases (other than Acid) I had never heard of the book before seeing the cover.
 
These are all the covers on my copy of the book. I live in the UK so the covers are sometimes different to the US and also many of these covers have changed and are now very different.
 
 
 
Acid - This is the only book on the list that I already knew about before seeing the cover. I was already intrigued by the synopsis but then this kick-ass cover made me even more determined to read the book.
 
Dark Inside - I saw this book in the corner of my eye in a bookstore one day and couldn't get it out of my head that evening - other than the title which I had forgotten other than the A replaced with the number 4. The following day I went back to hunt it down :P
 
Graceling - I really love books with kick-ass female characters and just look at this cover! It gets across the tone of the book so perfectly.
 
 
 
Nightshade - This cover is simply very pretty. I also immensely love anything metallic and shiny so the silver foil caught my eye.
 
The Elites - Just one of the most beautiful covers I have ever laid eyes on. From first seeing this cover I kept on obsessing about the book for months until I was able to finally read it. This is probably the only book that is positioned on my bookshelf with the cover facing outwards instead of the spine.
 
The Forsaken - Yet another example of me getting a book because the cover makes the main character appear to be pretty kick ass. I love the tagline too "No Rules. No Refuge. No Escape."
 
 
Partials - Pretty, Intriguing, and another killer tagline "The Only Hope For Humanity Isn't Human."
 
Blood Red Road - This isn't the most beautiful cover by far but it is really interesting. The red and black also stand out in stark contrast to the white which is what first pulled my eye when I was browsing books.
 
Divergent - If you have seen this cover in real life you will know how eye catching the silver sheen is and then with those flames in an almost eye type formation on the front. I first saw this book whilst searching for a different one in a book store. I ended up leaving with this instead of the one I had gone in for.
 
Wither - Just so beautiful and the complex design also has you wondering how it relates to the book. Also, though you cant see it here, the lines, circles and title are all done in gold foil which only adds to the beauty.
 
What covers/titles have made you buy a book? Feel free to share your own Top Ten Tuesday links in the comments :)

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful book covers rule. But unlike you, I do sometimes buy a book just because of the cover :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I semi do. The synopsis has to sound good too. If the cover is stunning but it doesn't sound like a book I would enjoy then I wont buy it.

      Delete
  2. Ah I'm terrible for judging books by their cover. I rarely pick up a book with a cover that doesn't immediately grab me - it's terrible! The synopsis has to sound awesome too as well, or at least had many brilliant recommendations/ floats around blogosphere.
    Great list! :)

    My TTT :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did the same thing with Wither! I remembering seeing it on sale and just snapping it up because the cover was so intriguing! :)

    Thanks for stopping by my TTT list,

    Alice @ Alice in Readerland

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pick. I am totally guilty of judging a book by it's cover and buying a book because the cover was SOOOOO PRETTY!!! Nice list :) My TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm also another reader who judges a book by the cover. Well, it's more like I check out the blurb because of the cover. But before I buy the book, I need to love the blurb. So if I don't love the cover, I won't bother with the blurb.

    There are too many books to list that I've bought because of the cover.

    Love this idea for a post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a super fun idea for a blog post. One book I can remember snatching from the bookshop due to cover is THE BRONZE HORSEMAN. It's still one of my all time favorites. There's something really sexy and melancholy about the snow falling combined with the close up of the mouth.

    ReplyDelete

If you leave a comment I promise to cherish it forever :) I will also try to always reply.