Bookish Treasures is currently closed for review requests and is not doing any new posts at this time.

Review of Surrendering

21 Nov 2013

Synopsis

Ravenel Hayes is a perfect daughter, a loving sister, a loyal friend, and an excellent student. Returning home to complete her MBA and be closer to her family, she has her future all mapped out. That is until her path leads her straight into Declan Collins. The dark haired, tattooed singer with a sinful body is a distraction, one that’s way out of her league. He wasn’t part of her plan. But now that he’s literally knocking on her door, how can she avoid him?

Declan Collins lives life to the edge. His only emotional attachments are to his family and his band. He’s your typical bad-boy, lead singer who lives with no regrets. “Hook-up and head-out” is his motto. His ultimate goal is to take his band all the way to the top, or so it was. When he runs into Raven, she stirs up emotions in him that he had never thought possible. From their very first meeting, there’s no denying the chemistry between them. He’s not a relationship guy, but can she change his playboy ways?
 
Jealousy, anger, stalkers, and fame and fortune threaten to tear these two apart. Will surrendering to their love get them through the challenges that await them? Or will it tear them apart?

*Due to graphic language and explicit sexual situations, this book is recommended for readers 18+*

Review

Wow. First off, let me say that I felt a disconnect the first chapter. It wasn't bad by any means but it just didn't feel real for some reason. I was a little worried there for a minute but I kept reading because I promised a review. 

The disconnect vanished shortly thereafter and I found myself in love with the story. It has some themes that are common in a rock star romance but there is so much more going on that it is completely unique. In fact, there isn't a single rock star romance out there that I would compare this to. 

The story is emotionally charged and I definitely felt like I was along for the ride. Some serious stuff went down in this book and the ending has me all hopped up on emotions. I initially didn't buy into how perfect Raven is and how perfect and beautiful each of her friends are but I definitely grew to love her character and empathize with her and her responses to things. She is definitely not a whiny, doormat heroine. And while Declan makes a few bonehead moves, I love him just as much because his feelings are laid bare in a manner that there is no question as to his love. 


The ending...holy crap. I did not see that coming. I was right there with Raven wanting nothing to do with people who threw her under the bus like that. I was so frustrated and heartbroken for her. I'm not sure I like the twist but it will make for a very interesting sequel and I have to admit that it seems fitting.

I will be anxiously awaiting the next book and am so incredibly glad I kept reading this book.

Katie

Try it for yourself! Goodreads | Smashwords | Amazon | Amazon UK

0 comments:

Post a Comment

If you leave a comment I promise to cherish it forever :) I will also try to always reply.